Sunday, April 1, 2012

New Recipe Alert - Roasted Kale

What green leafy vegetable has my unbelievably picky two-year old begging for more? (not going to lie, I knock back quite a bit of this myself - guilt free!)

Roasted Kale Chips.  I know, I can't believe it either.  I thought it was a fluke (for crying out loud, he's so picky he won't eat a sandwich if you call it a "sandwich") but I have made this now three times, and each time I hear "Moe Kale Peas" over and over for days.  It is crazy.  And easy.  If you google Kale Chips or Roasted Kale you will find TONS of recipes.  Today, I will share with you the recipe and tips I have learned to help you get your own easy-peasy snack.

Large Bunch of Kale - (My supermarket had bags of this in the pre-washed lettuce area, I used this the first time and it didn't work so hot.  I use fresh, whole leaf kale.  Luckily, a little farmer's-market type store near me has it all the time for cheap.)

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Fresh ground pepper

That's it.

Now for the easy directions. Wash the kale leaves, and trim the coarse rib out so you just have the flat leaves.  The rib takes much longer to bake than the leaves, so if you leave it in you will end up with kale ribs and burned leaves. Trust me on this.  Use a salad spinner or paper towels to dry the kale well before you start.

(I forgot to take a photo before I started, so this was what about half the kale looked like prior to baking.)
Next, layer the kale in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with foil, and sprayed well with non-stick cooking spray.  Drizzle about 1 1/2 teaspoons of Olive Oil over the kale and toss to cover
well.  Sprinkle with a little Sea Salt and bake in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees.


Bake the kale for 10-20 minutes, or until crispy.  (I know, I hate this part.  The time totally depends on how wet the kale is, and how humid your house is.  I have made batches that were done in 9 minutes and ones that took 25 or more.)  Using tongs, turn the kale once or twice.

Remove from the oven, cool for a few minutes, it should look like this.

(The white stuff is Parmesan Cheese, I tried a new recipe and it wasn't as good as my original)

Remember the HUGE pile of kale I had at the beginning?  Well, this is what it looks like when you are finished:

No comments: