Friday, June 24, 2011

What I like the most...

A dear friend asked me recently what I liked the most about being a Mom.  It took me a while to answer. Here is what I finally decided was the best.

I love knowing my child

You see, one of the things I was most jealous of in watching all my friends and their kids was  that no matter how hard I tried with the kiddos, no matter what I did - I didn't really know those kids.  I didn't know what their different cries meant, or what snacks would always help the grumpys go away. I am great with kids, but I didn't know them best.

 Yes, I really had a huge, ugly green jealous streak in me of moments like that.  Disgusting, isn't it?  I can admit it now, I hated this part of me - but it was there.

Now I know Buddy best.  I know when he is crying because something is wrong, or just because he is mad.  I know what snacks he loves, and what he could take or leave.  I know which books we cannot go a day without reading, and what cartoons will keep him occupied for the 20 minutes I need.  I know his favorite foods, and the ones he wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I know what makes him laugh, and what makes him cry.  The best part of this? He looks to me first to know these things.  Because I'm his Mama.  And he's my Son.

No comments: